Memorial Day has been observed in the United States since after the Civil War, and it gives us all a chance to honor those who have fallen fighting for our country.
Patch wants to help honor those who have been lost by donating $500 to a cause of your choosing.
You can honor a lost loved one here, by submitting a comment about who they were and what they did, and by uploading a photo to this story.
We'll take all those entries and choose one at random, then ask the person who submitted it where they'd like the money to go.
Each photo or comment counts as an entry.
A few contest details:
- The contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
- To enter, upload as many photos of your loved one as you like. You can add your remembrances in the comments section. Each comment or photocounts as one entry in the drawing.
- All entries must be received by midnight on Memorial Day, May 28, 2012, Central Time.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing.
- Patch will donate $500 to a charity of the winner's choice in the name of their loved one and the winner will be notified via the email address they use to join Patch. A new winner will be drawn if the winner does not claim their prize within 30 days.
- Click on the pdf above for complete Official Rules.